Transitioning to Senior School
Kincoppal – Rose Bay School is committed to the academic care of all students and has a strong focus on the successful transitioning of students between their primary and secondary education.
KRB's Transition Program
The Kincoppal – Rose Bay School Transition Program is designed to assist our Year 6 students with a sense of continuity and connectedness as they begin their secondary schooling. By providing a broad range of formal and informal opportunities for Year 6 students to connect with Year 7 students, relationships are formed that will support the educational and social transition for each student. Our program supports each individual’s journey into secondary school in many ways, including:
- In Term 1, Years 5 and 6 students visit the Senior School for a transition morning. During the morning they are greeted by the Principal, meet current Year 7 students and view the Year 7 Stuart Centre. Students then take part in a cross section of classes - art, history, science and English - with Senior School teachers. The morning includes a morning tea and Year 5 and 6 students are joined by Year 7 students. A Q&A panel of Year 7 and Year 8 students is facilitated by the Deputy Principal, so that any questions that the younger students have can be asked directly.
- In Term 3, Year 6 students join Year 7 students and teachers for lunch and activities over a series of weeks
- Each Year 6 student is paired with an existing Year 7 student who will act as their “Big Sister” throughout their first year at Kincoppal – Rose Bay Senior School
- Students are given an overview of the Senior Laptop program by the Director of Learning Innovation and an introduction to the Year 7 mathematics course delivered by a senior maths teacher
- Activities focus on social and organisational skills and are facilitated by the Year 6/ 7 Counsellor
- Orientation Day in November will include existing Kincoppal – Rose Bay students, as well as students new to the school, giving everyone an opportunity to connect and get to know each other before school commences the following year
- Year 6 students also have the opportunity, over several sessions, to meet with the Principal for morning tea
- Early in Term 1 of Year 7 students will further develop these peer relationships on school camp. All of Year 7 participate in this camp, which focuses on developing positive peer relations.
Kincoppal – Rose Bay School Transition Program is overseen by the Stage 3 Coordinator, the Year 7 Coordinator and the Senior School Director of Students. Evidence suggests that knowing what to expect gives students a sense of belonging and enhances their wellbeing.
As a result of the Transition Program it is hoped that all students feel confident and happy as they approach this next phase of their education at Kincoppal – Rose Bay School.